Hi, we got a new job opening for Light Equipment Operator in CITY OF BRADENTON
Company : CITY OF BRADENTON
Location : Bradenton, FL 34205
position : Light Equipment Operator
Department/Location: Public Works & Utilities – Multiple Divisions
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Classification: Essential: This position is an Essential classification and will require you to report to duty after a hurricane or emergency.
Schedule: This position normally works a regular weekday daytime shift and requires scheduled/unscheduled overtime, including evenings, weekends and holidays and/or immediate response to emergency conditions.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Supervisor and/or Crew Chief
General Purpose of the Position: Under general supervision, operates a variety of motorized equipment utilized in construction, repair, and maintenance of streets, storm sewers, water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems, canals, parks and public rights-of-way; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Transports workers to work site, participates in maintenance work as necessary.
· Operates one or more general to specialized light pieces of equipment such as, but not limited to:
– Vac Truck – Sign Truck – Fork Lift
– Flush Truck – Sign Trailer – Light Trailer
– Valve Truck – Generators (mobile) – Tractor
– Crane Truck – Dewatering Pumps (mobile) – Bobcat (John Deere)
– Patch Truck – Air Compressor (mobile) – Mini Roller
· Hauls debris, concrete and asphalt, digs, pushes, piles, and/or loads materials.
· Performs a variety of equipment preventative maintenance duties; cleans, greases, and fuels equipment, and identifies and/or performs basic service and repair work.
· Supports and actively promotes the City’s safety programs. Follows standard operating procedures, observes safety practices and reports or corrects potential safety hazards.
· Performs other construction, repair, maintenance operations related work, and performs manual labor as required by work assignment.
· Perform duties as assigned through work orders.
· Keep basic records; perform computer data entry.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Physical Abilities Required:
· Knowledge of safe work techniques and practices used in construction.
· Ability to make independent judgments and decisions.
· Knowledge of materials used in the construction and maintenance of utility systems and municipal infrastructure.
· Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the public.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Knowledge of job-related software as required by Department.
· Ability to work in close, confined spaces, walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear, reach above shoulders, work overhead on ladders and platforms, use fingers and hands with dexterity, and feel and reach with hands and arms.
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 80 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
Equipment Used: Computer, cell phone, telephone, radio. Non-CDL vehicles and light equipment, pumps, power valve turner, trencher, generators, radio, computers, concrete saw, and miscellaneous hand tools including shovels, sledge hammers, wrenches, pipe cutters, ratchets, saws, etc.. City vehicles (dump trucks, boom truck, cranes, truck and trailer, tractor/trailer), various heavy construction equipment, front-end loader, backhoe, auxiliary pumps, air compressor, concrete saw, generators, jack hammer, chain saw and common hand tools. If necessary and upon pre-approval by management, incumbent may operate CDL-class vehicles if properly licensed. Safety equipment is provided.
Education and Experience Required: A good driving record and valid Florida driver’s license and a high school diploma or GED equivalent. A minimum of one year of construction or other experience in performing heavy manual labor in an outdoor environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Environmental Conditions: Work is primarily performed outside in varying and extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time where employees are exposed to excessively loud noises from construction equipment, exposure to live sewer systems, human debris, drug paraphernalia, hot tar and asphalt, heavy equipment, working in and around trenches, hazardous gases, fumes, paint, chemicals and pesticides. Physical effort is required to perform heavy manual labor in confined and cramped spaces and uncomfortable conditions, climb ladders, bend, reach, and stand for long periods of time. Occasional exposure to slippery and/or uneven surfaces; heights above twenty (20) feet; below ground level, with feet, legs and/or hands in water. Occasional exposure to confined spaces. Subject to 24-hour call back for emergency conditions. Appropriate training and safety equipment will be provided for all conditions.
Commercial Driver License (CDL): A Commercial Driver License (CDL) is not required for this position. However, if necessary and upon pre-approval by management, incumbent may be assigned to operate CDL-class vehicles. If this should occur, incumbent will receive the appropriate hourly pay premium.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $19.67 per hour
Paid time off
8 hour shift
Work Location: One location